Monday, September 23, 2019

GoT Emmy thoughts

Regarding the outfits:

Carice*--The painted lady! How does she always look THAT unbelievably beautiful? Just, how. Her hair, the witchy makeup look, and that coolass dress (which is hand-painted, sustainably-made sartorial abstract art.) The shoulders are reminiscent of the gorgeous ones from her NY premiere gown. From this one I'm getting watercolor essence of American flag+Umbreon+watermelon (tourmaline)+Litten+Ostracion meleagris boxfish (a favorite species of mine.) [Eta: + the cover of "Blue Dog" by George Rodrigue...*_*] And that's just on first glance. On second I enjoy the black & orange Halloween "jewels" and r/g/b tulip I see on the sleeve, and...well, it's a dress to study and ponder for sure. xD
Lena--That's a pretty dress. Light and drapey, soft colors, and soft-looking--actually looks real comfy except for having to constantly hike it up off the floor so as not to tear or trip on it.
Nathalie--Looked nice, curls were on point.
Maisie--Also sparklies on black. I might like it slightly more now than I had when I first saw it earlier...the sash-looking piece has those cupcake pleats I love. On the whole I prefer Nat's.
Gwen--OMG, this self-submitted nominee showed up ready to WIN, lol. She came as an actual, literal queen (regal bearing and all); that getup reminded me of the matching "Medieval queen" costumes my mom and I wore for Halloween one year. It's Brienne as Cersei! xD Braime forever! (At least until she gives ol' Tormy a chance!) She certainly does love her flashy flamboyance. How are her earlobes not on the ground though...?

Emilia--Um, wow. I hope those straps holding up the basic skirt portion managed to stay put all night. O_o 8-/ Too naked up top for my likin'...
Sophie--Idk, the dress is a nice sort of metallic blush color, but the shape ain't doin' too much for me, especially on top. I like the necklace.

Dig Liam's velvet and Nik's Emmy-gold (didn't work, unfortunately. Doin' camouflage right though.)
Kit, Alfie, Peter, Isaac, and John looked fine in your basic tux. I saw Conleth in the audience shot with Isaac & Liam, but haven't seen any photos of him. Only saw Iain in one shot.


*My darlin' fave. Her sweet cuteifulness kills me painfully. Whenever anybody starts with the "What a badass move you made submitting yourself, you go girl" stuff, she makes sure to tell them it was her agent's idea and that she laughed at the notion ("Go ahead, but good luck with that!") She simply fucking MURDERS ME.

...For real, precious tiny impossibly superhumanly perfect angel-goddess woman--how dare you melt my hard, cold, black heart...

Regarding the awards:

Tbph, when the one I truly cared about (CvH!) didn't get it, I threw up my hands and went, "Well, now I just look forward to seeing them all together at the main ceremony." And melted down all the statuettes like Drogon ("If she can't have it ain't nobody gonna!") But as it turns out...yeah, only one of 'em did anyhows. On the one hand I'm really unsurprised, but on the other I sort of am.

Disappointed with Dinklage AGAIN...I know he's a fellow Jerseyan, but is he seriously the only one out of the entire ginormous, phenomenal cast who's won? And done so multiple times? That's wild. It's as if they just automatically give it to him now, and Tyrion being one of the main "mascot" characters, figure that he kind of represents the rest. But it easily could've been Alfie or Nikolaj (or one of the four non-GoT dudes.) Feels kinda like watching the same Wire Fox Terrier get Best in Show again (while your favorite breed doesn't even place in the group. xD) Then all four supporting ladies (three of whom surely had a shot), plus Emilia & Kit went empty-handed. Lena yet again on the last chance. Drama was sort of a given though--a cumulative legacy win for the cast & crew before the show finally bows out of the competition for good. That's nice.



I'd been wanting Emilia, Kit, Alfie or Nikolaj, and...either Gwen, Lena, or Maisie.
I have too little interest in most of the other nominated series to have ever done a lot more than root for Thrones folk. Directing I suppose I'd have given to "The Long Night." My biggest problem with that one was that it wasn't only the beginning of the climactic war with the dead. If the Night King's and Melisandre's deaths had come at the end of episode 4 or 5, I'd have been thrilled. But I mean, it was directed well. Writing had to be anything else since they didn't submit one of the first two or three eps; probably should've tried #2.

3 comments:

  1. Improved GoT ending: Immediately following the Night King's death, a plague swept across Westeros and achieved his goal for him. The only survivor was Daenerys, who tried to help but wound up being flown back to Essos by Drogon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just learned that Natalie Dormer auditioned for Melisandre. Um, wow.
    Well, thank heavens the right choices were made. :3
    CvH has the ethereal look for Mel...I mean, she needs new descriptors devised exclusively for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: the only angel on Earth: Finally was able to get “The Affair” in English (see relevant Twitter/IG picture.) It would be more of a favorite and more relatable to me without the “secret romantic attraction” aspect—if they were simply best friends with a close, intimate, affectionate bond rather than destined to become girlfriend-girlfriends. But yanno, good for them...it was just another thing they could’ve have been persecuted for, and personally, besides being wed to Jews. Reminds of Instinct in the dubious title change, Red Light in Carice playing the part that in some ways seems surprising or unlike her natural self/essence.

    ReplyDelete