Monday, May 6, 2019

juss bc disqus=broked

Disqus is suddenly detecting comments as spam when there's nothing remotely spamlike about them, so I'll just save these couple because they were so good. "Thanks, we'll work on getting this corrected," my foot.
I wanted to translate this back into fruitspeak, but Google doesn't offer it--blasphemy!!! Lovely interview nonetheless. ;]

Well, I’m indebted to this show for, among other things, introducing me to my new all-time favorite actress. Carice may rightly be a Dutch national treasure and swimming in awards there, but it’s high time she gets proper global recognition. There could have been no finer portrayal of Melisandre, doing greater justice to the part--but as I check off as much of her filmography as I possibly can (including 20 films so far), I’m repeatedly struck by her immense talents and versatility. Just sensational! Phenomenal. And her gorgeous singing voice? Forget about it. Unfair how vastly overpowered she is in every category—talent, beauty, adorable sweetness, etc...gah. Can’t wait for Domino (with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) at the end of the month, and I look forward to all future projects of hers. The world needs to be blessed by witnessing the extent of her powers. ;) That she nevertheless always seems to be so shy, nervous, and insecure makes me want to cry, and wish I could hug her. ;;

Originally she was offered the role of Cersei, but prior commitments prevented her from accepting. That’s curious. It would’ve been interesting to see her approach to that part. Would she have perhaps succeeded in making me feel sympathetic towards Cersei? I’m unsure she could’ve pulled off the [female-dog] face as well as Lena does, at any rate. xD Mel was difficult enough for her.

So exactly how old IS Melly? 300? 800? 1000 or even more? The GoT prequel I most want is one that includes a Melisandre-backstory plot (especially since Carice is up for playing her as an adult!) She was told early on that the character was ancient, but wondered for a long time whether they'd ever return to that and what significance it would have. Mel didn't necessarily start out as one of my favorite characters, but she certainly became one somewhere along the line as I intuited an understanding of what she was about. (Yeah, I wrote a whole bloody essay about her and her wonderful contributions to the Battle of Winterfell on the recap...) She's such a fascinating, complicated character, and I knew that she'd prove heroic in the end. That's what she always wanted--not even to actually be a hero herself, but to aid them in, essentially, guarding the realms of men. All she did, she did not for own sake, knowing that in the end she wouldn't be sticking around for thanks or to enjoy the saved land if they were successful--but purely due to the desire to see it saved.

I also expected her to live a bit longer--indeed I'd anticipated the war expanding over more than one episode, giving everyone time to do more. (Still hoping for some juicy deleted scenes; I understand there are supposed to be a great many?)
I loved all the people who died in that episode (well, except for the Night King, though I still wish he'd been taken down an episode or two later.) But Melisandre's beautiful sendoff hit me the hardest. I can hear R'hllor saying at long last, "Well done. You can come home now."

"I get cold in the summer." Well, that's no wonder!!

AMEN to that!!

She told Varys she was going to Volantis, so one must assume she was powering up there? I expected her to return leading an entourage of red reinforcements to help take on the NK, but for some reason only she could be bothered to turn up for the fate of humanity when it counted most, I suppose... ;p Guess she's the most powerful one and everybody else thought they'd be useless anyway so they all just said, "Nah you go girl, we'll just pray from the temple here..." Was she like, "Nah I got this y'all, stay here in Essos and keep doin' what yer doin'...proselytize 'bout Dany the savior without coming to help her actually save..." You'd think they'd want as many soldiers as they could possibly get, particularly ones with magical-fiery capabilities against the fire-vulnerable enemy, but...y'know...  #COWARDS (Does make you wonder what the rest of them were doing or not doing...the whole series, even...was Mel kind of a rogue? Did anyone else also believe themselves to be hot on the trail of an Azor Ahai? Was she the only one truly, actively seeking the world's salvation?) Well, anyways...

...And of course the eye color list only became relevant to the undead+NK when the writers decided a few years back that they wanted to be "surprising" and have Arya kill him.

Anyhows, I'll just copy/paste my "little" essay about her...

The use of Melisandre was probably my favorite single thing in the episode. She has always been among the most easily redeemable characters, doing wrong things for the right reasons. Unlike other murderers/attempted murderers with redemption arcs, she had only the purest and noblest of motives. Intent matters. It actually angers me when people are so lazy and dim as to see only the "wicked witch" that GRRM deliberately and explicitly did not create. While I'm not one to blame everything on misogyny, methinks I doth detect the stench.

Everything she's done has been ultimately aimed toward humanity's salvation. She did what she genuinely believed was needed to achieve that end. Her gaze has always been elevated. She knew what was coming. She's long been this warrior of light on the frontlines of the war between the gods of life and death. She's also lived for centuries; when you've been around that long, individual sacrifices seem less drastic relative to the big picture, and the apocalypse. Yes, she's a fanatic--but not an evil one. Not malicious or sadistically cruel. Not a charlatan duping people into worshiping a false god. Not lacking in evidence to support her beliefs
like so many of the religious people in our world. She carries no anger, hatred, or personal vendettas. Burning of sacrifices and enemies of R'hllor? From the perspective of such a character, so steeped in this faith, they can only be great blessings. When delivering someone into the sacred, purifying flames and R'hllor's warm embrace, there is no question that screams of horror will give way to screams of ecstatic joy in the beyond. It's a glorious thing in the red priest's worldview. They must cleanse the world and save souls--sometimes in a very tough-love sort of way. As a child slave sold to the Red Temple, Mel essentially underwent an extreme form of Stockholm Syndrome--discovering strength, stability, structure, guidance, refuge, meaning, and purpose in life by devoting herself utterly to the service of the Red God. The god of love, light, life, truth, joy, goodness. He must have become her only comfort. She's in truth one of the more altruistic characters, serving not herself but her Lord, faithfully and painstakingly and tirelessly. She considers herself a mere vessel, a conduit for his power and will. Her faith is in him rather than herself. He is the supreme being, she the fallible & imperfect human striving to be more--a worthy vessel capable of diving and servicing his will. Supporting Stannis and going as far as she did with him was a most grievous error; no one knows it better than she. It went unrewarded. Her entire foundation seemed to fall away beneath her when she thought she'd been deluded all along, & she was bereft and depressed for quite a while, even after resurrecting Jon. But she's also sincere--she'll own up to having made mistakes, no matter how awful, can plainly admit when she's been wrong, and then learns from it. She softens, moderates, reconsiders and adjusts her hard-line fanatical stances.
The only GoT prequel I strongly want is one that involves Melisandre's backstory. She's such a mysterious, fascinating, complex, intriguing character. (The one about the original Long Night would be good too, though that might well show up this one.) For one thing I'd like to know why she was so thoroughly convinced of Stannis for so long.

Melisandre helped bring the right groups of people together and ensured they'd stay united. She brought Jon back despite (or perhaps thanks to?) her brokenness. She gifted the Dothraki with fire (and the audience with illumination)--not her fault the horselords were (mostly? totally?) doomed. That's all on their strategist(s.) It's inevitable that their charge with regular arakhs would've been exponentially less effective without her. Mel bought the living crucial time by saving their trench plan. I like how her incantations tend to work when she's desperate, teary, shaky, pleading. The Lord of Light really makes you work for your miracles. That obviously used a ton of strength, and the unsuppressible self-doubt that's plagued her since Stannis' defeat was still present. Hope she also managed to summon some Dany-esque faith in herself at last--I see her & the LoL as partners, and ideally there'd be both. Every shot of her in this episode is stunningly gorgeous (actually, I should just change "this episode" to "ever.") But that iconic fire in her eyes...yeah. That wonder, amazement, gratitude..;0; And Arya wouldn't have attacked the Night King without her revelation & prodding.

And then, Mel's death scene. Poignant, dignified, beautiful. (And Mother Gothel-esque.) One of the multiple death scenarios I'd envisioned for her, though it happened too early for my liking. I don't want her gone yet. She strides silently through the corpse-littered field, discards her necklace and lets the ruby glow its last, walks on...and gradually transforms into the super-elderly her, finally disintegrating and blowing away into the wind. I'm just so glad that the episode ended so poignantly on her. She showed up early on to do her part, and she closed it out. Walking willingly into the overdue rest for which she's been ready a long time. Having fulfilled her purpose, she heads straight into her beloved Lord's embrace as the sun begins to rise. Reuniting, hopefully, with any whom she's loved and outlived. The weight of the world has lifted from her shoulders at long last, and she can finally sleep, after this long lifetime spent fighting with darkness. Remaining driven and focused and committed to her raison d'etre 'til the end. No more need to fear the dreams. She beautifully bookended the BoW, a true highlight of the season.
Ugh, I cry. Other time was "Hold the door." And Maester Aemon's death/funeral, the second time through. (Nearly on the demises of Sers Barristan & Jorah.)

Anyway, Mel is my MVP, Lightbringer, Azor Ahai, Princess Who Was Promised, the one before whom the darkness fled--regardless of whatever the heck the show ends up doing. (Maybe she's even Nissa Nissa too?) If it never addresses the prophecy despite that having been mentioned so many times, well, at least I know to be prepared for disappointment now. But one of my favorite theories was that it had been her all along, yet she never considered that as a possible interpretation of her visions. [abridged version of this]

"Melisandre...you're a good woman. Thank you." 
Thank you for being one of the greatest shields to guard the realms of men. 
You'll never be forgotten.


11 comments:

  1. Just been singing Into the Woods songs...occurs to me that that Witch can also be compared with Mel...and that it'd be an incredible role for Carice...x-3

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6/25/19 update: I now own every Melisandre item in Quidd, whooooot! The "In Memoriam" card only set me back 440,000 coins...xD But s'okay. We're still over 4.2 mill. Largely 'cause the whole app's gone to absolute hell and it's hardly worth buying anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Nother great: http://watchersonthewall.com/carice-van-houten-reflects-end-game-thrones-melisandres-death/#comment-1868882

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment re: the Creative Arts Emmys/Syfy interview:

    "I wanted so much to hear her acceptance speech. ;; }8-@

    Melisandre has been among my favorite characters for a long time. Reading LiveJournal entries from back when I’d started the series, I see that I’d been initially unsure and distrustful of her, but soon enough I began to understand why she was what she was and did what she did. And I’m so happy that this led to my gaining a new all-time favorite actress. I’ve often wondered what her approach to Cersei would’ve been…that’s a tough one to imagine, even though I do believe she could manage to do anything well…

    I felt as if Meli seemed more fanatical than other members of the Red priesthood because not only did we know her a lot better than any others, but she seemed to have…maybe a more special relationship with the LoL…she’d fully devoted herself to locating and aiding the Azor Ahai/PWWP figure. Kinvara popped in to tell Varys & Tyrion that she’d decided it was Dany, so her crew would help them by preaching in her favor–but that’s kind of all we got. In the end, Dany & co. were out there fighting and the ONLY one who showed up to help was Mel. (After having helped ensure this crucial ice-and-fire union.) I expected her to lead an army of red reinforcements against the NK and AotD! But nope, ’twas all her. And once she’d seen to it that the NK had been slain by the one apparently best equipped to do that, she simply walked off to finally rejoin her beloved god of light. The one she’d spent so long implicitly trusting to guide her down the necessary path. It was a job well done, fulfilling her life’s goal of literally preventing humanity’s demise, and she was spent and ready to go…she really did have the best entrance AND exit! ;.;"

    disqus.com/sassysaluki

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^ "I liked how she seemed to be at her best and most powerful after having been broken by the error of Stannis and the uselessness of Shireen’s sacrifice...like the LoL takes pity and lets her work miracles when all that’s left is her pleading desperately for his help...to save someone, to save many, to not feel so utterly bereft. But she put herself and her faith back together in time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I stopped commenting on articles... I feel like my thoughts can't be fully expressed as if I'm being shunned.I used to be very interactive talking about game of thrones,I even enjoyed talking about theories of how the story will develop or should have.nowadays I just read and let it be... Sad days indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. I'm kinda trying to forget about it and move on as it's been months already, yet something or other keeps reopening the wounds...xD; At this point I'm just gonna get the series on disc as a Christmas gift for my mom so we can watch the bonus material. When we restart the series, I'll probably leave off the last three episodes and just fill in the end myself. ^^
      Not even gonna count on the last books from George. If they do get published, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
    2. So will I and hopefully if the books get the ending right then i wouldn't be opposed of rebooting the series in 15-20 years. Although nowadays everything is coming back rebooted much more quickly than I ever anticipate it to be so idk, but for now I'll get into the wheel of Time series I have huge high hopes I suggest you look into that one seriously.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that's true...I don't really like the thought of different actors in the roles, but to repair the ending, it might be worthwhile. And while I'm not thrilled with everything being a reboot/remake/sequel/prequel/what-have-you, I suppose there really is nothing new under the sun, and even "original" things by now are mostly similar to stuff that already exists. Wheel of Time is another book series I had never heard of, but have read about it as one of the shows that "hopes to become the next Game of Thrones." I doubt you can consciously create a phenomenon like GoT, but so long as they pull it off successfully and don't botch it eventually, that's all right even if it never gets that big. I may have to look more into it, especially if I hear good things about the show. Ha, maybe they could even surpass GoT if they manage to finish strong and stick the landing!! ;)

      Delete
  7. I hope they do and at least have a much better ending but anyways I hope the wheel of Time doesn't disappoint me like this show did I have high hopes. I recommend at least looking up the plot if you haven't heard from the series it'll be a great one perhaps the one that surpasses GOT if they get then ending perfectly it'll be a masterpiece... I'm just here hoping lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between seasons six & seven I really started to mull over who my favorite remaining characters were, who I most wanted to see get some sort of fabulous ending—and I realized how much I loved Mel. (Not even primarily because I was finally nearing the capability of wrapping my mind around her superhumanly impossible beauty, which of course comes directly from Carice.) But another thing...with her post-Stannis depression...it wasn’t “Damn R’hllor was a phony and a fraud all along, he’s a fake and a piece of shit asshole, and I got taken in by his nutty cult, wasted all this time, poor me...” She still probably believed that their human sacrifices were somewhere with him in a better place, that he was the ultimate good—but that she had fooled herself into thinking she was special enough to have been spoken to, and chosen to interpret his will. It’s all just so sad. ;; Thank goodness she was given the ending she deserved, even if she should’ve had that direct fight with the NK and a very clear “this lass was Azor Ahai/The Princess Who Was Promised all along” scene. 

    ReplyDelete